Friday, December 7, 2007

satellite communications

Have heard from home that our post is starting to arrive! Joe, one of the camera crew, lent me his satellite phone and I went and stood outside in a blizzard yesterday and phoned home. Got through after a bit of wandering around trying to find a signal, wishing I'd put gloves on! It was such a bad line we spent the first couple of minutes shouting "can you hear me ... I can hear you..." at each other. I also had the problem of drowning out the penguins. Sorry Mum! not altogether satisfactory, but better than nothing ... maybe. Also left a message on Bill's answerphone - of course he was out!
Then out of the cloud and snow I saw the next ship arriving so back to work. Some of the staff from USA Palmer Station - our nearest neighbours - came too, on a day out. Brought us freshly baked bread! Finished up work at 8ish again - dinner and couple of beers and then more filming. 'The Lockroy staff relax in the evening' Rick reading, Rachel writing and me knitting!
This morning the next ship was in at 7am, so early porridge, the first crew were here at quarter to. But the wind changed direction, and my goodness there is still a lot of ice out there, and it all started arriving in our bay. It built up so quickly, it was amazing. Everyone was bundled back on board and they scooted off to clearer waters hopefully. The ice is beautiful though! We have a few more big bergs close by now - we have had one really large one since we have been here, which is gradually losing lumps. The giant petrels and cape petrels swim around it, the bottom of the berg brings up food from the sea floor.
Anyway, we shall wait and see what the morning brings. We did have another visit this afternoon, but they didn't stay long either, the wind is howling and it is nervy work watching to see where the ice goes next. The poor penguins are having such a tough time. We are pretty chilly too! yesterday was the coldest I have been yet in the shop. Early night tonight I think - it's been another long day!

No comments: