Sunday, December 30, 2007

happy penultimate day of 2007

It's a foul, wet and windy day for our 'maintenance day' so we are in the bunkroom trying to stay warm instead of up on the roof painting. Ships are changing schedules, some are changing times to agree with Argentinian time changes, the one that was meant to be here yesterday or the day before, depending, has hit a glacier after a power failure and is not coming at all, we think. It's all a bit vague at the moment. Not quite sure what we are doing for Hogmanay, but there are a few yachts around and a couple have come in to shelter behind our island. However if this wind continues then it is doubtful if we will meet for a party, it may just be a case of a radioed Happy New Year, and an early night!
There are so many happenings I have not mentioned, a case of time and power limitations, but Rachel is managing to produce a much fuller account which I recommend. When I started this it was just intended as an update for family and friends and I have been startled to find that word has spread and I have no idea how many readers there may be! More than the dozen that I began with. A couple of passengers in the shop the other day asked which one of us was Helen ... turned out they live near Kendal and there had been an article in the Westmorland Gazette about my sojourn here. Did any one else see it, is it true!?
I also didn't mention the school group that visited recently who were astonished and surprised to find an 'old girl' here - they were from St George's in Edinburgh where I went for my 6th form years. Much reminiscing, and photos for the school magazine. They had 328 large letters to post, as a fundraising venture - hmmm, a great deal of organising of stamp-sticking. Many different values of stamp required to make up the £1.10 for each letter, as I only have a limited numbers of each denomination.
Cold toes now, must be lunchtime - which I might eat in bed!

2 comments:

Vince said...

I don't normally get the Westmorland Gazette, so I don't know if there's been a follow-up article, but Mary gave me the one dated October 5, 2007 which you probably saw before you left ( Career move : counting penguins ).
Vince

wendy said...

read the latest 3 installments at last! Managed to find a computer and the blog address at the same time. you seem to be having fun and avoiding cathing anything. you sound as if you need an underwear mercy flight?! REmember I have had practice!!
Bye for now
Wendy