Saturday, October 20, 2007

We're Off!

Safely arrived on the Nordnorge! basking on deck in tropical heat, fighting off the mosquitos. The one thing I didn’t bring for an Antarctic voyage was insect repellent! or shorts – I have had to borrow some from Rick who has brought two pairs (!).

We had a smooth and well-prepared journey, once I had found my passport, collected my North Face boots (on the morning of departure!) and got off the wrong train and onto the correct one! The only stumbling block was our 31 kg of excess baggage! the bill was over £600, but Rick did some smooth talking and got it down to £100 in the end, which was a bit of a relief.

We settled in to our cozy cabins, I am sharing with Rachel, and Rick with Tudor, then had a superb buffet dinner and watched from the deck in the dark as we set sail out of Buenos Aires and off down river guided by several pilots.

No comments: